The English Review is an English language periodical from 1908 to 1937. It was founded in 1908 by Ford Madox Ford (then Hueffer), with the purpose of ‘giving imaginative literature a chance in England’. Its first issue contained original work by Thomas Hardy, Arnold Bennett, Henry James, Joseph Conrad, John Galsworthy, W. H. Hudson, R. B. Cunninghame Graham, and H. G. Wells. It was backed at first by Arthur Marwood, the ‘heavy Yorkshire squire’ and friend of Ford, from whom Ford drew many of the characteristics of Christopher Tietjens in Parade’s End. The period of Ford’s editorship, from December 1908 to February 1910, was one of great distinction. It also contained the works of the authors such as Sherwood Anderson, Anton Chekhov, Hermann Hesse, Aldous Huxley, Katherine Mansfield, Bertrand Russell, G. B. Shaw, Ivan Turgenev, and William Butler Yeats which now appeared in the magazine’s pages. However, the Review ran into financial difficulties, and Ford was replaced by Austin Harrison, the editor until 1923. The title merged with the National Review in 1937.